The Vibrant Communities Steering Committee invites you to celebrate our many great places at the…
Implementation Program 2:
MAKING GREAT PLACES
Highlights of the evening:
- Progress report – We’ve not been standing still! Many of our action proposals are already underway. From the arts to parks and trails, things are happening all around our community. Even since July, we’re on the move!
- Little Big Idea Grant Update and Celebration – Do you have an idea about how to make a great place? We believe in the power of YOU! We believe little grants will help bring your BIG ideas to life.
- Keynote Address – Great places don’t just happen. They’re made by people who care and are willing to try out new ideas. The Vibrant Communities Steering Committee is excited to host Dr. Katherine Loflin, the City Doctor, in Elkhart for a keynote address focusing on creative placemaking.
- Tell us what you think! – What are your reactions to the program? At small tables we’ll talk about your ideas.
Building off last year’s momentum, the Vibrant Communities Steering Committee is ready for action. This year – from Middlebury to Nappanee, from Elkhart to Goshen, from Wakarusa to Bristol – is all about implementation. Together, we’ll identify our priorities, learn from successful experiences in other communities, unleash the creativity of our citizens and take another step toward making Elkhart County and its communities an even better place to live, work, and play.
Anyone who cares about the future of Elkhart County and its many great communities should attend.
Dr. Katherine Loflin, the “City Doctor”, is the Principal of Loflin Consulting Solutions. She has held advisory and leadership roles in some of the most groundbreaking and innovative placemaking projects.
Featured Speaker: Dr. Katherine Loflin
Making a Great Place
Place matters. Whether it’s where we live, work or play, our environment has a profound impact on how we feel and how we invest. But great places don’t just happen. They’re made by people who care about the future, have faith their investments will be met with returns, and want to see their children thrive close to home. In her address, Dr. Loflin will cover all of the aspects of placemaking, the why, the how and the who. Join us, learn more, and be inspired to get involved with Vibrant Communities.
All about Katherine
Dr. Katherine Loflin is an internationally award-winning placemaking consultant, speaker, and instructor in cities around the world. The “City Doctor”, is the Principal of Loflin Consulting Solutions. She has held advisory and leadership roles in some of the most groundbreaking and innovative placemaking projects, such as:
- City of Calgary’s Inspiring Strong Neighbourhoods Initiative (a Soul of Your Community project) Lead Consultant: The first government-led and funded project on place attachment
- Johnson C. Smith University’s Senior Research Fellow to the President and Principal Investigator in the Soul of Charlotte’s Northwest Corridor Project
- Lead Consultant and National Expert on the Knight Soul of the Community Project
- Lead Consultant on Miami Foundation’s Our Miami Project
She was also named Guest of Honor and Award Recipient at the prestigious international Place Marketing Forum 2014 in Aix en Provence, France. While there, she taught a Masters Class on Placemaking to global delegates. She is a two-time TEDx speaker on placemaking. She is an invited member of the global Placemaking Leadership Council and keynoted its inaugural event in 2013 and subsequent events in Stockholm, Sweden and Adelaide, Australia.