The crowd spreads their blankets on the wide terraces in front of the new Central Park stage. As the band sets up for their show, enticing smells waft from the food trucks lined up on Waterfall Drive. As the Central Park lawn fills up, more people gather in the shade of trees lining High Street and on the patio of the new cafe.
This scene of a beautiful summer evening has been brought to you by the designers of a proposed renovation of downtown Elkhart’s Central Park.
The design concepts were presented in early July. Now residents of Elkhart can offer their feedback on the project’s website (click on the Contact button to leave a comment).
The designs by Rundell Ernstberger Associates were influenced by public comments made at sessions in fall 2018 to identify what improvements Elkhart residents wanted to Central Park and Civic Plaza. Features of the proposed changes include:
- A stage in Central Park near the corner of High Street and Waterfall Drive.
- The stage faces a terraced green space that has three tiers.
- A shaded area lining High Street equipped with cafe tables and chairs that could be blocked off for special events.
- A stand-alone building featuring a cafe with indoor/outdoor seating, and separate restrooms.
- Waterfall Drive is designed to be shut down for food trucks or other vendors during events, and open to traffic at other times.
The proposed renovations will be considered by the Elkhart Redevelopment Commission sometime in fall 2019.